Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Mr. Chubby said ... 'Garden Grown Tomatoes. The Fruit of My Passion' ..

MEADVILLE, MS - Summer is just not the same unless you have a 'goood ole bacon & to-ma-ter' sam-ich' .... and probably whomever said that must have once bought their tomatoes from Mr. Greg 'Chubby' Scott's mini farm located at 8710 Hwy 84 East in Quentin, Ms just east of Meadville/Bude, Ms .... 


Mr. 'Chubby', as he has been known all of his life, is somewhat of a tomato growing expert .... Mr. Chubby has customers that wait for his tomatoes to 'come ripe' and when he puts his signs out on the road near his driveway... they get the cash ready, pull up into his yard and honk their horn ... Mrs. Clemois or Mr. 'Chubby' stop the tomato sorting and the picking to wait on each customer with a big smile and a hearty welcome .... 



"I produce between 8,000 and 10,000 pounds of tomatoes each year.  I sell them all right here to my friends, customers and neighbors.  Put up my signs when they ready and when they gone I just take them ole signs down till next year" said Mr. Chubby .... "folks been waiting for my tomatoes and they were a little late this year but they are coming on strong"  ... I feed'em a little powdered milk 'cause they need calcium and I give them plenty water .... they grow, grow and grow just like a baby ..... just pick'em and sell'em ... I love growing stuff, especially my tomatoes .... Mr. Chubby added ... 


Mr and Mrs Scott love to visit with folks and sell their tomatoes.  They also have yellow squash and okra.  The okra goes fast and you got to get there early to get the daily picking of squash.  'First come, first serve' said Mr. Chubby .... We try to be open around 7 AM til around dark everyday... except we close early on Wednesday to go to church and of course we close on Sunday ...  'folks can pull up in driveway and honk or call us at 601-835-1998 .. we'll be right here' .... Mr. Chubby said as he waited on another tomato customer ... 



Mr Chubby looking over his field of Tomatoes and Squash 


Source: FCNews Staff local report



No comments:

Post a Comment